Friday, February 19, 2010

Is God fair

No matter where you are from or what your believe in, we all want to be happy. We want to live a good life, for things to go well for us and those we love, and we deeply desire to be loved, understood and treated fairly.
We have inside us a very strong sense of justice and feel clearly that people should get what they deserve. If someone has done the wrong thing, they should not escape punishment and if someone has worked hard to do the right thing, they should receive what they are entitled to. As Aussies we really get upset when criminals walk free, and lazy freeloaders get something for nothing.
So where does God fit in the mix of things? I mean is God fair and does He give us what we deserve? Most people seem to think they've got a better chance at getting a fair go if they distance themselves from God, take control of their own destiny and try to work the power of karma in their favor. I'm a big “My Name is Earl” fan...very funny stuff, but honestly whats the go with “karma?” Everyone loves it and apparently it makes so much sense. Do good - get good in return, do bad- look out because bad is coming your way. It seems to be the fool proof cosmic justice system that ensures we all get what we deserve.
The problem with karma is that while we genuinely want fairness and justice for others, we honestly want what is better than fair for ourselves. We want to be given the benefit of the doubt and another chance to do things right. We want to get lucky and receive more than we are entitled, but when these things happen to others, we complain that its not fair.
U2 front man Bono said in a recent interview;
“The thing that keeps me on my knees is the difference between grace and karma. At the center of all religions is the idea of karma. You know, what you put out comes back to you...And yet, along comes this idea called grace to upend all that...Love interrupts, if you like, the consequences of your actions, which in my case is very good news indeed, because I've done a lot of stupid stuff. I'd be in big trouble if karma was going to finally be my judge, It doesn't excuse my mistakes, but I'm holding out for grace. I'm holding out that Jesus took my sins onto the cross, so I don't have to depend on my own religiosity.”
Grace is better than karma every day of the week. The idea of karma is hopeless because for every good thing you do, you'll end up doing 2 stupid things to undo the good you feel you deserve. Grace is God extending love, freedom, choices, power to change, forgiveness and mercy to you with absolutely no reference to what you deserve,
The truth is that God is not fair and he doesn't give people what they deserve. That's good news.

5 comments:

  1. Karma is expresse in the gospels as "What ye shall sew, so shall ye reap". It is one of the most constant ideas in all religions.

    I think it isnt facing reality that if you go around committing evil expecting God's love and Grace to intervene at all instances, not only you a totally evil user of God, your're a despicable human.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Furthermore, i think it is human but childish to expectmore than we deserve. I love "My Name is Earl as Well" but it's TV, most specifically comedy and i exagerated for comedic effect.

    The kind of TV pastors that preach wealth christianity make me sick, they are revolting sorcerers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi stuart.
    I agree the the bible teaches us to expect to reap what we sow, but I think it totally speaks against the idea of earning your way to God, or heaven by the good things you do - which is the central theme of most other religions.

    I also agree that it is dispicable to go around committing all kinds of evil expecting that God will just continue to love and forgive you.

    As for TV preachers who make God out to be some kind of genie in a bottle who grants all your wishes and makes you rich, I think they will have a lot to answer for when they stand before God.

    Thanks

    Jaemin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Jaemin

    Keep writing.

    Stuart

    ReplyDelete
  5. by the way, to understand karma as good works is a misunderstanding, it is better to understand it as "consequences".

    stuart

    ReplyDelete